jump to navigation

DIY thread rack May 15, 2010

Posted by Judy in Sewing projects.

Thanks to my recent acquisition of 50+ spools of thread, it became necessary for me to figure out a better thread containment strategy.  After doing a quick search online, I got the idea to make my own thread rack.  First I was going to do a covered one like this.  Then DH thought that maybe I could use this foamboard stuff so that it would be much easier to make the holes.  Well, that totally didn’t work, it wasn’t sturdy enough.  What to do, what to do?  I searched around the house and found an old piece of wood that had once-upon-a-time been part of my laundry folding table.  I had painted it a nice and shiny brown and then painted an outdoor clothesline.  Anyway, it was pretty big, big enough to cut it in half and not disturb the little painting.

So it got chopped in half and then I drilled LOTS of holes.  They were 2″ apart and the rows were staggered.  I think I ended up with 7 rows and 10 columns.  (Oh, the holes were drilled at an angle.)  For the little spindles, I used bamboo skewers and cut them into 4″ lengths.  I also tapered the ends to make it easier to insert into the board.  Once that was done, I ended up with this:

I then attached it to the wall in my sewing area and loaded up the spools of thread with their corresponding bobbins.  Here’s how it looks:

I love it, keeps  the thread visible and also easily keeps the bobbins with the correct  spools.  I now probably should come up with some sort of see-through vinyl cover to keep the dust off of the thread.  But that’s a project for another day!


1. Lita - May 16, 2010

Pretty cool!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: